July 10, 2012
TOP 5 LATINO DESIGNERS
By Tina Alvarez
Latino fashion designers have become so big that they dress top celebrities with their styles
Even those who know nothing about fashion can name a Latino designer, and there’s a reason for this: Their impact on Hollywood and their presence on the world’s runways has been growing exponentially on the last decade. Latino fashion designers have become so big that they dress top celebrities, notable public figures -- and their designs have been featured in major events.
Of course, we don’t expect you to know them all. For this reason, we put together thisa list of names you don’t want to miss:
1. OSCAR DE LA RENTA: Having created his label in 1965, this Dominican designer has made a name for himself in couture. Known for his classic, glamorous designs, De La Renta never misses the mark on the red carpet. But no matter how elegant his clothes may be, he stays true to his Dominican roots -- reflected in his use of rich colors, ruffles, feathers and other details.
2. CAROLINA HERRERA: If we had to compare Carolina Herrera with an icon, we’d have to say she is the Audrey Hepburn of the fashion world. Classy yet innovative, this Latina embodies the true meaning of elegance. Her designs, clean and timeless, reflect pure sophistication. From perfumes and accessories to wedding dresses and red carpet gowns, she does it all. It’s no wonder that Hollywood’s finest (among them, Renee Zellweger, Salma Hayek and Sofia Vergara) have chosen her designs for their public appearances.
3. CARLOS MIELE: When you think about Brazil, the first thing that comes to mind is the sound of the ocean, a spicy samba and the taste of a caipirinha. Well, that’s exactly what Carlos Miele has accomplished with his designs. Known for his use of traditional Brazilian artisan techniques, Miele relies on the use patchwork, stitching and crochet while using sheer fabrics like chiffon in order to create elegant yet sexy designs.
4. JUAN CARLOS OBANDO: Although relatively new to the fashion scene, this Colombian has already made a lasting impression on fashion editors. He first showed his collections in New York City in 2008, and is already known for his bold choices that include the use of daring colors, translucent materials, and metallic fabrics. Obando’s designs guarantee that you will be the center of attention at any event.
5. NARCISO RODRIGUEZ: If you like presidential fashion, Narciso is memorable. Known for designing Michele Obama’s first public outfit as First Lady of the United States, this Cuban designer has what it takes to make you look your best. Forget about excess when you face a Rodriguez design; this two-time winner of the CFDA Womenswear Designer of the Year Award has clearly understood that elegance and simplicity go hand-in-hand.
MÁS EN PROXIMO MAGAZINE: